It’s the last day of January so I have got to pack up this Best of series and get focused on the new year!
It was not a great year for new music in our house. Everything else in our life seemed new and unpredictable; perhaps that’s why we mostly stuck to old favorites and soundtracks. Lots of “Get Out the Map” by Indigo Girls, “Late for the Sky” by Jackson Browne and “The Most’' by Lori McKenna. 2014 was also the year of soundtracks in our house. Mostly these four:
As we left “Guardians of the Galaxy,” my 12 year old said, “We have GOT to get that soundtrack” and I replied, “Actually, we already own most of those songs.” Of the four pictured, it was the best overall soundtrack.
One of our favorite books of 2014, Wonder by R. J. Palacio, led us to this video of “Major Tom,” which led us to “The Secret Life of Walter Mitty,” our favorite movie of the year.
Top Songs of 2014…in our house, regardless of when they were released:
- Stay Alive by Jose Gonzalez
- Hooked on a Feeling by Blue Swede
- Come and Get Your Love by Redbone
- Skyfall by Adele
- Home by Phillip Phillips
- Stay With Me from “Into the Woods”, as well as Agony, The Last Midnight and more.
- No More by Mandy Patinkin
- So Now What by The Shins
- Broke Window by Gary Jules
- Let It Go from the movie “Frozen” (hard to believe that was this year…but it was)
- The Air That I Breathe by The Hollies
- Pompeii by Bastille
- Boulder to Birmingham by Emmylou Harris
- Brave by Sara Bareilles
- Tuesday by Sarah Masen
- I Wanna Get Better by Bleachers
- Budapest by George Ezra
Songs the boys loved (and destroyed by overplaying):
- Best Day of My Life by American Authors
- Believer by American Authors
- Weird Al’s Word Crimes, Tacky, Handy, & First World Problems
- Happy by Pharrell Williams
- Everything is Awesome! by Teagan and Sara
- Immortals by Fall Out Boy
- Pompeii, So What Now, and the first four from my list above were favorites of theirs as well.
and how could I leave out: “It’s Raining Tacos”
I’m not sure why I’m compulsive about tracking our favorites from each year. I know I’d love to hear what my mom read or listened to when I was ten years old, but I’m not sure my sons will care. Really, it is another form of memory keeping for me.
Literal memory keeping, since I can’t remember titles of anything any more, and figurative, because I hope reading this list in the future brings back memories.
Memories of the boys singing “Let It Go” in the car as a quid pro quo for frozen yogurt. Our Jimmy-Fallon-esque lip sync contest on the beach in Inverness to “Hooked on Feeling.” How that annoying taco video led our boys to hard shells. James Taylor’s “Mexico” in February. The best misheard lyrics from Bastille’s Pompeii. The Colorado playlist that accompanied us over the Rockies, and Nolan’s request that we play “Home” as we made the final drive up to our new home in October.
I hope 2015 will introduce us to more new artists and new songs, but I’m grateful to the old favorites that accompanied us through 2014.