A great year for music at the Keating house. Thanks to Google music (like iTunes only your playlists don’t disappear randomly and you can access it on anything anywhere), Moab’s KZMU and Chicago’s XRT and Denver’s KCBO, a quirky documentary, an amazing concert at the Red Rocks, and three boys who still love to blast music in the kitchen.
Granted, some of the music they blast is torture (yes, Ylvis, I’m talking about you). Yet I’m happier seeing their allowance spent on $1.99 songs than on packs of bubblegum.
Top five songs from Aidan’s playlist that survived overplay:
- Radioactive by Imagine Dragons
- Lego House by Ed Sheeran
- Can’t Hold Us by Macklemore & Ryan Lewis
- Holding on for Life by Broken Bells
- We Are Young and Carry On by Fun
One of the highlights of the year was taking the boys to see a concert at the Red Rocks Auditorium in Colorado. They were already big fans of Michael Franti’s “The Sound of Sunshine” and “Say Hey (I love you)” but his new album All People became the soundtrack to our whole year.
Top three Michael Franti songs (and my top 3 of 2013):
- Life Is Better With You
- Closer to You
- On and On
The boys would disagree and say 11:59 is the best track, along with the title song and Earth From Outerspace. You might as well just buy the whole CD.
Brian and I watched “Searching for Sugar Man” last January, and bought the CD the same week. I don’t think the boys really got on board with that one, though they were excited to hear “Sugar Man” playing at Zax, their favorite pizzeria.
My favorites by Sugar Man Rodriguez: Crucify Your Mind and I Think of You
Other favorites this year (even if they weren’t new this year, they were new to us):
- Royals by Lorde
- Let Her Go by Passenger
- Shine by Christa Wells
- Home by Edward Sharpe and the Magnetic Zeroes
- The Magic Clap by the Coup
- I Never Knew You by the Avett Brothers
- Classy Girls by the Lumineers
- Let It Go by Fossil Collective
- Lightning Bolt by Jake Bugg
- Glorious by Melissa Ethridge
- Skinny Love by Bon Iver
- From a Window Seat by Dawes
- Sirens by Pearl Jam
- When I Go by Brett Dennen
- Sing by Travis (Mary Alice, you’ll appreciate this---only after Aidan bought this song did I realize we already had it from a 2006 MA mix!)
These great oldies made a comeback in our kitchen in 2013:
- “The Blues Brothers” soundtrack (late 2013, carrying over to 2014 thanks to Erin & family)
- The Weight by the Band
- What’s Up by 4NonBlondes
- Everlasting Love by U2
- Giving It Up for Your Love by Delbert McClinton
- For the Good Times by Ray Price (sighs of relief from the boys when I got over that one)
- Asleep by the Smiths and all their good ones (thanks to reading Perks of a Wallflower)
We are always in need of new tunes, so if you discover a great song, send it our way!