One more week until Oscar Night!
In the home where I grew up, Oscars night was the equivalent of Super Bowl Sunday in other homes. For years, even after all but the youngest had left home, my brother Kevin would still send out ballots and tally the winner among us.
So, regardless of how few movies you've seen (we never let that stop us!), I want to know your vote.
Please leave a comment listing your picks, numbered 1-8. Comments will close at midnight on Saturday, February 23rd. Whoever has the most correct picks will receive a $25 Amazon gift card to purchase the DVD of their choice or just a lot of popcorn!
I’ll include my picks in the comments. I’ve seen six out of the nine nominated for Best Picture. Thanks to our little Moab theater eventually getting the big releases, most of them have been in the last four weeks. Locals, “Beasts of the Southern Wild” will be shown at Star Hall this Thursday @ 7PM.
And the nominees are…
1. Best Picture: Amour, Argo, Beasts of the Southern Wild, Django Unchained, Les Miserables, Life of Pi, Lincoln, Silver Linings Playbook, Zero Dark Thirty
2. Best Director: Michele Haneke for Amour; Benh Zeitlin for Beast of the Southern Wild; Ang Lee for Life of Pi; Steven Spielberg for Lincoln; David O. Russel for Silver Linings Playbook
3. Best Actress: Jessica Chastain for Zero Dark Thirty; Jennifer Lawrence for Silver Linings Playbook; Emmanuelle Riva for Amour; Quvenzhane Wallis for Beasts of the Southern Wild; Naomi Watts for The Impossible
4. Best Actor: Bradley Cooper, Silver Linings Playbook; Daniel Day-Lewis for Lincoln; Hugh Jackman for Les Miserables; Joaquin Phoenix for The Master; Denzel Washington, Flight
5. Supporting Actor: Alan Arkin, Argo; Robert De Niro, Silver Linings Playbook; Phillip Seymour Hoffman, The Master; Tommy Lee Jones, Lincoln; Christoph Waltz, Django Unchained
6. Supporting Actress: Amy Adams, The Master; Sally Field, Lincoln; Anne Hathaway, Les Miserables; Helen Hunt, The Sessions, Jacki Weaver, Silver Linings Playbook
7. Original Screenplay: Amour, Django Unchained, Flight, Moonrise Kingdom, Zero Dark Thirty [This is one of the most interesting categories this year, because I can think of reasons why each might not win.]
8. Adapted Screenplay; Argo, Beasts of the Southern Wild, Life of Pi, Lincoln, Silver Linings Playbook
If “Wreck-It Ralph” beats “Brave,” known around here as Mary Alice’s movie, for Best Animated Feature, there will be riots in our household. You’ve been warned, Academy!
For those who want to play along at home O’Malley style, Jessica Jones has created a sweet Oscar ballot you can download from her site, How About Orange.
Also, for my fellow O’Malley’s and movie-buffs, check out the Oscar Poster by Olly Moss that celebrates each Best Picture winner with a unique Oscar statuette. If I were hosting my sisters & brothers, rather than 3 boys under age 11 on Oscar night, we’d also be playing a game of scrambling the order of those statuettes and seeing who could guess which movie is represented by each.
Oscar Prediction Contest (part of our month-long giveaway celebration):
Leave a comment listing your picks for the winner in the 8 categories above, numbered 1-8.
Comments will close at midnight on Saturday, February 23rd.
One winner will receive a $25 Amazon gift card to purchase the DVD of their choice or just a lot of popcorn! If more than one person gets the highest number of predictions correct, we’ll have Nolan pick one winner from a hat.
I’ll announce our winner on Monday, after they announce their winners on Sunday!
Updated ---Winner Announced!
Congratulations to Leila!
No one got a perfect score of 8 predictions correct, but out of our 28 entries, 3 tied with a score of 7. Our random winner out of those three is Leila! Enjoy, Leila, and thank you to everyone who entered!